LOS ANGELES – LMU Loyola Law School’s inaugural Cannabis Business Law Conference will focus on “Exploring Current Legal & Regulatory Concerns” from 12-6 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 25 on its downtown L.A. campus. The event will begin with a keynote address from former California State Treasurer John Chiang and continue with panels featuring legal and financial experts with extensive experience advising businesses in the cannabis industry.
The conference will address a range of emerging legal and business issues – many of first impression – in the quickly evolving marketplace for medical and recreational cannabis in California. The conference will also address the lifecycle of a cannabis-related business, from financing and risk management issues to taxation and exit strategy.
“This conference establishes Loyola Law School as a thought leader in an important new area of the law as transactional lawyers in the greater Los Angeles area navigate an increasingly complex financial and regulatory landscape for the cannabis industry,” said Therese Maynard, William G. Coskran Professor of Law, LMU Loyola Law School.
The program will begin with a keynote address from Chiang, who will provide his perspective on the current economic and regulatory environment facing California’s cannabis industry. The three afternoon panels will feature speakers who are experts in the financing, banking, tax, accounting and valuation issues that lawyers must confront in this heavily regulated industry.
More information is at available online. Journalists who wish to attend any portion of the event should RSVP to Brian Costello, LLS director of marketing & communications, at email@example.com, 213-736-1444 (o) or 310-902-9560 (c).
Cannabis Business Law Conference Agenda
12-1 p.m.: Lunchtime Keynote Address – John Chiang, Former California State Treasurer
1:10-2:20 p.m.: Banking & Lending Solutions, Finance Considerations & Risks
- Oren Bitan ’07, Shareholder, Buchalter
- Patrick Chung, CEO, Titan Vault, LLC
- Anthony Napolitano ’03, Shareholder, Buchalter
- Moderator: Richard Ormond – Adjunct Professor, LMU Loyola Law School
2:30-3:40 p.m.: Emerging Issues in Cannabis Taxation
- Marc Claybon, National Cannabis Industry Tax Leader, Crowe LLP
- Seth Freeman, Senior Managing Director, Glass Ratner
- Daniel Rowe ’19, Partner, Green Hasson Janks LLP
- Moderator: Katherine Pratt, Professor of Law and Sayre Macneil Fellow, LMU Loyola Law School
3:50 to 5:00 p.m.: M&A, Valuations & Exit Strategies
- Evan Eneman, CEO, MGO | ELLO Alliance
- Justin Keller ’08, Partner, Rimon P.C.
- Jeff Kendig, Managing Partner, Bravos Capital, Ltd.
- Vanita Spaulding, Managing Director, Valuation Department, SingerLewak LLP
- Moderator: Therese Maynard, William G. Coskran Professor of Law, LMU Loyola Law School
5-6 p.m.: Networking Reception
About LMU Loyola Law School
Located on an award-winning Frank Gehry-designed campus in downtown Los Angeles, Loyola Law School is home to prominent faculty, dedicated students and cutting-edge programs. The Law School strives to instill in students the knowledge they need to excel on their chosen paths. It dedicates itself to preparing students for the rigors of practice with an extensive portfolio of practical-training opportunities, a 18,000-strong alumni network and a focus on social justice. Learn more at: www.lls.edu.